Prevent Child Abuse in Kansas


How do I get online child abuse prevention training and background checks?

Compass Abuse Prevention Services offers online child abuse prevention training and background checks.

What is child and vulnerable adult abuse and neglect in Kansas?

According to the A Guide to Reporting Child Abuse and Neglect by the Kansas Department of Children and Families, child abuse is defined any physical injury, physical neglect, emotional injury, or sexual act inflicted upon a child.

child abuse

Vulnerable adult abuse in Kansas is defined as abuse, neglect or exploitation of certain adults; reporting abuse, neglect or exploitation or need of protective services; persons required to report; penalty of failure to report; posting notice of requirements of act.

According to the Child Welfare League of America, there were 2,386 victims of abuse or neglect in Kansas in 2020, a rate of 3.4 per 1,000 children. This is a 0.7% decrease since 2016.

Who is a mandated reporter according to KS state requirements?

According to KSA 38-2223, child mandated reporters are defined as:

(A) Persons licensed to practice the healing
arts, dentistry and optometry; persons engaged in postgraduate training programs approved by the state board of healing arts; licensed professional or practical nurses; and chief administrative officers of medical care facilities;

mandated reporter

(B) the following persons licensed by the state to provide mental health services: Licensed psychologists, licensed masters level psychologists, licensed clinical psychotherapists, licensed social workers, licensed marriage and family therapists, licensed clinical marriage and family therapists, licensed behavioral analysts, licensed assistant behavioral analysts, licensed professional counselors, licensed clinical professional counselors and registered alcohol and drug abuse counselors;

(C) teachers, school administrators or other employees of an educational institution which the child is
attending and persons licensed by the secretary of health and environment to provide child care services or the employees of persons so licensed at the place where the child care services are being provided to the child;

(D) firefighters, emergency medical services personnel, law enforcement officers, juvenile intake
and assessment workers, court services officers and community corrections officers, case managers
appointed under K.S.A. 2005 Supp. 23-1001 et seq., and amendments thereto, and mediators appointed under K.S.A. 23-602, and amendments thereto; and

(E) any person employed by or who works as a volunteer for any organization, whether for profit or not for-profit, that provides social services to pregnant teenagers, including, but not limited to, counseling, adoption services and pregnancy education and maintenance.

Vulnerable adult mandatory reporters are any person who is licensed to practice any branch of the healing arts, a licensed psychologist, a licensed master level psychologist, a licensed clinical psychotherapist, the chief administrative officer of a medical care facility, a teacher, a licensed social worker, a licensed professional nurse, a licensed practical nurse, a licensed dentist, a licensed marriage and family therapist, a licensed clinical marriage and family therapist, licensed professional counselor, licensed clinical professional counselor, registered alcohol and drug abuse counselor, a law enforcement officer, a case manager, a rehabilitation counselor, a bank trust officer or any other officers of financial institutions, a legal representative, a governmental assistance provider, an owner or operator of a residential care facility, and independent living counselor and the chief administrative officer of a licensed home health agency, the chief administrative officer of an adult family home and the chief administrative officer of a provider of community services and affiliates thereof operated or funded by the department for children and families or licensed under K.S.A. 75-3307b and amendments.

Mandated reporters can request in-person mandated reporter training from the DCF.

Failure of a mandated reporter to make a report is a Class B misdemeanor and could result in a $1,000 fine or up to six months in jail. 

How do I report child abuse in Kansas?

Reports of abuse, neglect and exploitation of an adult or child may be made to the Kansas Protection Report Center by calling 1-800-922-5330. 

Here are tips for making a child abuse report and a vulnerable adult abuse report.

report child abuse

As of April 11, 2022, mandated reporters can make an online report through the new online portal.

Reports of DCF employees as alleged perpetrators should be made to local law enforcement agencies. Kansas law requires that these types of cases not be investigated by DCF. A reporter should call the statewide number 1-800-922-5330.

How do I contact the KS Department of Children and Families?

Contact the Kansas Department of Children and Families
555 S. Kansas Avenue

Topeka, Kansas 66603
Phone: (785) 296-3271

reporting child neglect

Disclaimer: Please ensure the information and courses meet requirements for your organization and circumstances and align with what your state Department of Children and Families requires. The state requirements and child abuse and human trafficking statistics listed on this page are current as of February 20th, 2023 to meet the best information available. State requirements may change and it is your responsibility  to know your state mandated reporter requirements and the process for online child abuse prevention training. Compass Abuse Prevention Services can not guarantee acceptance by your school, organization, or state Department of Children and Families. If there is a child abuse emergency, call 911 immediately.

Back to Top